Hey everyone, here’s a really funny story. Remember how the Vikings have never won a Super Bowl, and any time they’ve ever been close you’ve had your heart torn out? But not only that, pretty much your entire existence as a fan of the Minnesota Vikings is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad existence? Well, I just wanted to bring that all flooding back to you at once by highlighting what this Yahoo! Sports … random … unqualified … contributor wrote as far as what her top five worse Vikings memories were. The top one from her list in my opinion?
- 1998 Playoffs Missed Field Goal: Two words mean more to any die hard Vikings fan than any others – wide left. They could mean just about anything to fans of other NFL teams, but to a true Vikings fan they can only refer to the missed field goal in the 1998 – 1999 playoff game against the Atlanta Falcons. The team had been nearly perfect with a record of 15-1. Nobody was more perfect that year than the team kicker, Gary Anderson, who had made every single extra point and field goal attempt all year. The game came down to Anderson’s golden foot. His first miss of the year went barely wide left ending the Vikings Super Bowl hopes for the season.
Uh, yeah. That was really bad. But what’s maybe even worse is how incorrect the rest of her list is:
These can’t be ranked in any particular order, because the rest of her list goes also follows:
- 2010 Metrodome Collapse
- 2009 NFC Championship Game
- The Herschel Walker Trade
- Love Boat Scandal
Uh, what? I thought this was supposed to be a list of WORST moments, not awesome times in Vikings history (See: Love Boat Scandal). Sure, the other items are upsetting, but really? Who gives a shit about a Metrodome collapse? No one. Anywhere. In face it was probably the best thing that could have happened to the franchise to push them to get a new stadium, AND, the footage of the collapse was totally sweet, bro.
But come on. There are so many more significant events not listed here that would trump even the NFC Championship Game, in my opinion. Some of those include, but CLEARLY not limited to:
- Arizona’s last second TD to knock us out of the playoffs
- The Randy Moss trade
- The Randy Moss cut
- The Brad Childress hire
- The Wizzinator
- Four god damn Super Bowl losses
- The Hail Mary Push Off
- Dwight Smith having sex in a Minneapolis skyway stairwell
- Brian Russell
You get the picture. Not only was that article crap, but it infuriates me that this lady probably made .11 cents having this article published and here I am driving traffic to it. I guess that shows who the moron really is.
Anyway, back to the weeping into our shirt sleeve. What are some of your favorite/worst Vikings moments? And they don’t have to be franchise significant. Some of the worst memories are the ones you affix yourself to for no particular reason. For instance, I also remember the Vikings/Ravens game in December on Sunday night football in 2008 or 2007 for some reason when we got our shit pounded in. Nothing significant about that game, at all, but it stuck with me for the suck all the same. So let’s air some grievances.