Adrian Peterson is your 2012 NFL MVP, and dammit, I couldn't be prouder.
You want to talk about how silly being a fan of the NFL (or anything, for that matter) is? As I sat and watched Peterson's acceptance speech for the MVP award, I felt proud. I felt like the guy really deserved it, and I was really happy to see him win it, give a speech, smile, thank his dad, mom, God, LESLIE FRAZIER, whoever else. I mean, he didn't say he thanked me BY NAME, but I know he did. I could feel it. I was proud.
And why? I didn't do anything. I didn't even go to a regular season game to support him this year. I'm a horrible fan. I deserve the opposite of credit. Blame? I deserve blame for him winning MVP, somehow? That would make more sense than my proud feelings I felt with my heart-thing. I don't even know how to use that anymore. And yet here we are.
Doesn't matter though. Cities would have burned if Peterson didn't win that award. No one has deserved it more, EVER, I promise you that, and regardless, I'm still proud. Acceptance speech video after the jump.
OK, there is a lot to take note of about this video, so let's jump right in:
– Peterson is looking good. The high lapel on the suit just screams FANCY SHRIMP NIGHT.
– Peterson's long-time girlfriend, Ashley Brown, is looking acceptable. Forget that she probably is supposed to as a former Playboy model, and just be happy that our boy is enjoying some high class pie every night for dessert.
– The shout outs to his dad and mom are OBVIOUSLY adorable. Thanking his mom for his speed is fun.
– Um, old Silver Fox sitting with the Vikings and not the Packers?! SWEET REVENGE! He looks like he could still play better than Ponder, by the way, even though he's a huge butt hole.
– Damn Frazier always makes me like him. You can tell that Peterson and him have a nice personal connection, and that actually makes me happy. It makes me believe that, unlike Percy Harvin, Peterson is committed here long term. I mean, he's signed to a huge contract obviously, but I'm talking more personally. He's personally invested in Minnesota, and that gives me a real big feel.
– Did you hear that? We're winning the Super Bowl next year! SUCK OUR BONERS, PACKERS!!
In the end, it was almost a really solid weekend. Peterson gets his MVP, joining Alan Page and Fran Tarkenton as the only other Minnesota Vikings players to win the award. May as well just get his "Ring of Fame" spot reserved like two years ago. Peterson also won the Fantasy Player of the Year Award, and Offensive Player of the Year Award (are those maybe the same thing?) and joined Cris Carter as notable recipient of Vikings-related awards this weekend, as Carter finally went into the Hall of Fame. If Randy would have pulled out a victory with the 49ers I may have fainted. Instead, other former Minnesota Vikings gay-hater Matt Birk and slovenly broke-face Bryant McKinnie ended up with Super Bowl rings.
Think about that for a second, and then go weep yourself to sleep. Oh well, can't win them all. Unless you're Adrian Peterson, and you have a full wall of awards: