Boy, you know it's award season when Christian Ponder shows up on a red carpet with a suit on!
Well, actually this was from a couple of weeks ago, but the point still stands. Christian Ponder and his wife Samantha Ponder hit an ESPN red carpet event recently where they talked about married life, love, football, and POWER COUPLES! The video (seen below) is attached to an article also talking about how Leslie Frazier has discussed not having significant competition for Ponder in the 2013 season, which kind of sounds like an awful idea.
Here are some other things we've learned about the quarterback position for the Minnesota Vikings recently:
First, watch your video and laugh over the "newlywed" karma they got going on. How long does it take until they don't talk to each other because he's giving her a nice Cleveland Steamer when they get in bed together?
Other items we learned:
- All it takes to be a power couple in the NFL is to be a starting NFL quarterback married to a top sports reporter. Erin Andrews probably could have taken that crown long ago if she wasn't too busy giving handies to everyone, and Rachel Nichols could have been a sleeper pick if she hadn't left ESPN. Now she's with like … I don't know, Turner Sports maybe? … and her sultry gave will never have the same appeal. Alas.
- Samantha sounds like a huge Vikings fan. Or at least, about as big of a Vikings fan as I am, as she's only watched one of Christian's games. She clearly hasn't seen him play enough then, which also must be why she still likes him. HAHA! I kid, I kid.
- How does Ponder not know basic nutrition? Does the team not provide someone to help out and offer that information? I can only imagine what Phil Loadholt has been eating, left to his own devices.
- Pizza, chicken wings, and ice cream sundaes before an NFL game. Does this explain anything?
- It sounds like Christian Ponder does the grocery shopping in their marriage! He also apparently buys awful food. Meatball pizzas? Gross. Don't get me wrong, I've had some exotic pizzas before (I'm a regular at Pizza Luce), but whenever I hear meatball pizza, I just imagine a meatball sub from Subway spread out in pizza form and that freaks me out.
- Give credit to Ponder for understanding what was going on in the NFL this year, too. He picked the Ravens to win the Super Bowl, 27-24, and even though that final scores were about 20 total points more, picking the Ravens by three was still a solid bet. But the really question remains, WHY DIDN'T HE PICK THE VIKINGS TO WIN IT?!!?!
Anyway, there you go. The link also points to those recent quotes from Frazier about lack of competition. Interestingly enough, Ponder said on KFAN the other day that he'd have no problem with the team drafting a quarterback or bringing in any competition for him, as competition can only make him better. That's a valiant thing to say, but it's still no fun to have anyone fighting for your job. Little ratty up-and-comers think they have everything coming to them. Boo.